Join us at the next screening of ‘Rooted: Growing a Local Food Ecosystem’ in Carsluith, April 20th! Click here to book >

Producer Guidance

We would love to encourage local people to start new food businesses.

The Food Hub can provide additional routes to market for small local, good food producers alongside markets, retail and direct sales. We are particularly keen to talk to people who grow fruit and vegetables and have an excess they could sell occasionally. Or if you love growing but don’t have your own space and would like to get involved in a bigger growing project within the community do get in touch. If you have a passion for preserving, fermenting, baking or cooking meals for others we would love to hear from you

If you’d like to sell what you make through the Galloway Food Hub

and aren’t already an established food business, please read the guidance below first.   

If you are already a well established food business please complete this form Good Food Criteria.   

This is not an exhaustive list, so please do your own research into the requirements for your business to make sure you are aware of, and complying with, all legal requirements and best practice.  

Please remember: This information is subject to change. Galloway Food Hub have collated this information in good faith, and it is up to you as a food producer to keep up to date with legislation and food safety advice. 

Best practice and legal requirements

Register with your local council

It is a legal requirement that all producers, apart from those growing only fruit, vegetables or flowers, are registered with the local authority.  

If you are a fruit and vegetable grower you will need to let us know where your water comes from, if you have any animals on your land, as they need to be kept separate from the plants, and that you understand how to pack, weigh, label and price your produce. 

Dumfries and Galloway Council say: “We’re responsible for regulating food safety at premises across the region where food is stored, prepared, distributed or sold (for profit or not). New businesses must register with us at least 28 days before they start trading and we need to know within 28 days if any details change.” 

Registration is free of charge. You may be fined and/or imprisoned for up to two years if you run an unregistered food business. 

Food businesses manufacturing or handling products of animal origin such as meat products, dairy products or eggs may require approval.  Call 030 33 33 3000 or email if you aren’t sure if you need approval. 

All meat, dairy and eggs sold through the hub must comply with and have been subject to visits from Environmental Health Officers.  


Food manufacturing can involve risks to health. Product liability insurance can help protect you if someone makes a claim against you or your business as a result of injury caused by your food products. 


Should we receive a complaint from a customer, or are advised of a food safety issue, we will pass on this complaint straight to the food business operator and do not hold any responsibility for any complaints. 

Weights & Measures

If you weigh or measure goods to sell to consumers, the law states that your equipment must be both suitable and accurate. 

Labelling & Allergens

It is your responsibility to comply with UK law and provide all mandatory information on all pre-packaged foods, as well as on your online listings. Further information can be found at the link below and also by contacting your local authority Trading Standards and Food Safety departments. 

The Food Standards agency has lots of information and some free courses to help food producers with allergen labelling: 


Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) is a planning tool to help you to manage food safety and safety procedures in the manufacturing of your products. Your Environmental Health Officer can advise on whether you need to produce a HACCP plan. 

Safer Food Better Business (SFBB) is a planning diary to help plan and comply with food safety regulations and management processes.  

Both HACCP and SFBB are important documents to get in place to run your food business safely and are generally expected by Environmental Health Officers. 

Food Hygiene Qualifications

If you are making processed foods, or supplying foods of animal origin we would expect as a minimum that you hold a Level 2 Food Hygiene qualification. 

Level 2 Food Hygiene courses can be completed online for around £25. 

Transportation of produce

Please always follow best practice when transporting produce to The Galloway Food Hub. 

General guidance

Fruits and vegetables

Fish and meats (frozen)



Cooked or Processed Foods with 2 or more ingredient e.g. jams, cakes & pies.

Please note: If you are selling products of animal origin, a staff member of Galloway Food Hub may request to visit your premises, to see proof of your paperwork and registrations, and to visit your animals.